Advertisement

Apartment Complex Fire

Advertisement

June 19, 2019 at 5:04 am - Home, Local Chilliwack News, MyChilliwackNews
By MyChilliwackNews Editor

 On June 18 2019 at approximately 5:00pm the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in an apartment complex in the 45000 block of McIntosh Drive. Neighbours saw black smoke venting from several windows of the apartment and called the fire department.

Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6, and on arrival, reported seeing black smoke venting from a 1st floor apartment. Occupants were not home at the time of the fire, and neighbours had tried initiating fire control measures. Fire crews setup an offensive attack and quickly brought the fire under control, containing the damage to the suite of origin.

The interior of the apartment suffered minor fire and moderate smoke damage. One civilian received minor lacerations while accessing a fire extinguisher mounted in the hallway of the apartment complex, and was treated at the scene. There were no firefighter injuries.

This fire appears to be accidental and caused by a pot left on the stove.

Chilliwack Fire Dept. wants to remind the public that:

The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking, and to;

Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, boiling, grilling, or broiling food. Turn off the burner if you leave the kitchen for any reason.

Comments

comments

  • Advertisement



  • Advertisement