Advertisement

Workshop Fire

Advertisement

March 13, 2019 at 5:00 am - Home, Local Chilliwack News, MyChilliwackNews
By MyChilliwackNews Editor

On March 11, 2019 at approximately 1830 hours the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in a small workshop in the 8000 block of Howard Crescent.

Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 4, and 6 and on arrival, reported fire and smoke venting from the structure. Occupants were working in the shop at time of the fire and called 911 then and began to extinguish the fire. Fire crews setup an offensive attack bringing the fire under control and ensuring no extension to other structures.

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

This fire appears to be accidental caused by welding.

Chilliwack Fire Dept. wants to remind the public that sparks and expulsion of molten metal produced by welding and cutting processes are ready sources of ignition that can travel up to 35 feet (10 meters) from their source. Because sparks can travel so far, any combustible material in the immediate area can pose a significant fire hazard. As a result, all welding areas should be free of flammable materials. A flammable material is anything that can be easily set on fire.
These include rags, cardboard boxes, paper bags, food, dust, gas cylinders, wood, and cans of paint, solvents, and cleaning products.

Comments

comments

  • Advertisement



  • Advertisement