Advertisement

Sprinkler System Extinguishes Apartment Kitchen Fire

Advertisement

November 26, 2018 at 10:45 am - Home, Local Chilliwack News, MyChilliwackNews
By MyChilliwackNews Editor

On November 24, 2018 at around 5:30pm the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported apartment structure fire in the 45000 block of Wellington Avenue.

Firefighters responded from Halls 1 and 4, and upon arrival, discovered a stovetop fire in the kitchen of a 1st floor apartment unit. The fire had been extinguished by the building’s automatic fire sprinkler system prior to the arrival of fire crews, which limited fire and smoke damage to a small area around the stove. Without a working sprinkler system in place, this fire had the potential of causing extensive fire damage to the home and adjacent units in the apartment building.

The Chilliwack Fire Department would like to remind residents to “Stand by your pan”. The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. Please make sure to stay in the kitchen when you are frying, boiling, grilling, or broiling food and always turn off the burner if you leave the kitchen for any reason.

The Chilliwack Fire Department strongly promotes the installation of an automatic fire sprinkler system in homes. The presence of an automatic fire sprinkler system in conjunction with a working smoke alarm significantly reduces the chance of dying in a fire.

Comments

comments

  • Advertisement

  • DrivThruLnch_300x50_OCONNC4Cinema_300x50

  • Advertisement