Mounties Remind Drivers the kids are going back to school (Photographs Attached)
UFVRD: The RCMP reminds drivers that September 4th marks the beginning of the school year and School Zone speed limits are in effect.
School Zone speed limits of 30 km / hr from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. school days across the Upper Fraser Valley – Chilliwack school zones are in effect school days from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. – will be enforced by police across the Upper Fraser Valley.
“RCMP urge motorists to be watchful for children on the roads,” says Corporal Mike Rail spokesperson for the UFVRD. “This is also a good time for parents to speak to their kids about road safety.”
- When dropping off your children in school zones, allow them time to exit the vehicle on the side closest to the sidewalk. Never allow a child to cross the street mid-block.
- If a vehicle is stopped in front of you or in the lane next to you, they may be yielding to a pedestrian, so proceed with caution and be prepared to stop.
- Watch for school buses. Vehicles approaching from both directions must stop for school buses when their lights are flashing.
- Stay alert until you have safely reached the other side of the road, cars can come from all directions.
- Stay ‘unplugged’ and leave gadgets in backpacks when walking or cycling, this will allow you to focus on the road, see, hear, and respond safely.
- Wear high visibility clothing.
For more safety tips to ensure everyone has a safe start to the school year visit us on line by clicking onto bcrcmp or our partners at The City of Chilliwack Safer City and ICBC.