Advertisement

Smoking Materials Cause Fire

Advertisement

February 20, 2018 at 4:18 am - Home, Local Chilliwack News, MyChilliwackNews
By MyChilliwackNews Editor

On February 18, 2018 at approximately 10:30am the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in an apartment complex in the 46000 block of Princess Ave. Occupants saw flames lapping up the exterior of the building from a ground floor balcony and called the fire department.


Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 4, and 6, and on arrival, reported seeing heavy black smoke and flames venting from the balcony of a main floor apartment. Occupants were home at the time of the fire and closed the balcony door to the suite, activated the building fire alarm system, and evacuated the building. Fire crews setup an offensive attack and quickly brought the fire under control.

The apartment involved suffered extensive damage to the exterior of the structure. Closing the balcony door to the suite was instrumental in preventing fire from spreading to the interior of the structure.

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries. This fire appears to be accidental and caused by discarded smoking materials.

Chilliwack Fire Dept. wants to remind the public to ensure smoking materials are fully extinguished in an approved container.

Comments

comments

  • Advertisement

  • DrivThruLnch_300x50_OCONN
    C4Cinema_300x50

  • Advertisement