Yesterday, the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union. The vote was dubbed “Brexit” — the British exit.

Results had 51.8% of voters in favor of leaving the EU, while 48.2% voted to stay. News of the split sent sterling dropping more than 10% against the dollar, suffering a 31-year low as investors worried about the globe’s fifth largest economy.

Prime Minister David Cameron, who campaigned hard to keep Britain in the EU. The conservative leader announced that he will leave office by October.

This morning, outside his residence at 10 Downing Street in London, Cameron’s voice broke as he announced his resignation. “I do not think I can be the captain to take the country to its next destination. In my view, I think we should have a new prime minister in place by October.”